In the Pilgrim's Company:
An Ignatian Storytelling Initiative
To celebrate the Ignatian Year, the Jesuit Conference of Canada and the United States is launching a global Ignatian storytelling initiative entitled In the Pilgrim’s Company, a project that will take a fresh, innovative look at St. Ignatius’ autobiography. And we’re inviting storytellers the world over to contribute their ideas.
This isn’t a simple rehashing of Ignatius’ own words, though. This is an opportunity to delve deeply into the character of one of the many people St. Ignatius encounters during his pilgrim journey – from those early pages stuck in bed with a wounded leg to the final pages in Rome beginning charitable works.
Read the first two stories.
The Pilgrim's Book
The Provincial and the Pilgrim
Listen to a conversation with the authors.
We are not currently accepting submissions. Check back soon for updates!
- Submit original pieces of fiction (up to 5,000 words), poetry, one-act plays or comic strips.
- Clearly identify and assume the persona of a character that is in Ignatius’ autobiography, or a character that might have been in his autobiography (e.g. a townsperson);
- Reflect a deep understanding of Ignatius’ autobiography, as demonstrated by an accurate historical representation of both the life of Ignatius and the society in which he lived;
- Reflect a deep understanding of Ignatian spirituality, the Society of Jesus and the Catholic imagination; and,
- Connect the story of Ignatius with the signs of the times today, as well as the Ignatian Year’s call to conversion.
Selected contributors will receive a stipend, as well as an opportunity to be featured across Jesuit media platforms, including podcasts, videos and more.
If you are interested in submitting your work, please complete the following submission form. If you have any questions, email email@example.com.