How to Pray the Examen
1. Place yourself in God’s presence. Give thanks for God’s great love for you.
2. Pray for the grace to understand how God is acting in your life.
3. Review your day — recall specific moments and your feelings at the time.
4. Reflect on what you did, said, or thought in those instances. Were you drawing closer to God, or further away?
5. Look toward tomorrow — think of how you might collaborate more effectively with God’s plan. Be specific, and conclude with the “Our Father.”
Different Needs, Different Examens
An Examen for White Allies
Discern how you can recognize your privilege and advocate for racial justice.
An Examen for Civic Life
Reflect on the interrelationship between Gospel values and political engagement.
Additional Examen Resources
Examen Live! An Initiative of the Office of Ignatian Spirituality
Stories from Living the Examen
How This Ancient Meditation Practice Changes My Day
By Mike Jordan Laskey
Why We Pray the Examen Each Night with Our 11-Month-Old
By Clarissa Aljentera
The Prayer That Changed Everything
By Patty Breen